|Horrible At Gift Buying? Here's Help!|
|Dear Dating Doctor:|
I have always failed miserably when it comes to buying gifts for women. I don't want to blow this one. Please help me!
Facing Failure Again
Dear Facing Failure: For my male brethren, I went directly to the source, women, to uncover the latest trends in female gift procurement. Here are ten rules to follow that will ensure a satisfied ladylove.
- 1. Never buy a gift, which infers that at some point she will be doing work for you.
Examples: Haircutting shears, a universal remote control, a stick-free saucepan.
- 2. Avoid gift certificates. They are impersonal and always appear to be an after-thought. If you choose this route, make sure to purchase an adequate spending amount for the Type of store chosen.
Example: A $20 gift certificate won't go very far at Sacks Fifth Avenue.
- 3. Remember, it is not the size or cost of the gift that matters, but the thought and care behind the offering.
Examples: Breakfast in bed, or cookies & milk coupled with a story and a kiss at bedtime.
- 4. Make sure to write her name correctly on the card and not the name of your ex(OOPS!).
- 5. Take a look back at the last few gifts she purchased for you. These will indicate her giving-receiving comfort level.
Example: If she bought you a $50 watch, don't buy her a $250 necklace.
- 6. When in doubt, err in the direction of romance.
Example: A spontaneous and unexpected night out beats a dozen roses anytime.
- 7. And speaking of roses, give her just one and present it at a time and place when it will be totally unexpected. Pick yellow, pink, or white (anything but red or black). Be unique and creative.
- 8. Never buy a gift, which indicates that she needs to be in better condition.
Example: Any abdominal machine, or a lifetime membership to Jenny Craig.
- 9. Make a mutual decision to forgo presents and make a difference with the money.
Example: Shop for food and take it to a food bank. Serve those less fortunate than yourselves.
- 10. Never bestow a gift that is breathing or one that should be and isn't!
Example: A Puppy, plants or fish (alive). A fur, or floating fish (dead).
Hope these helped. Good luck.
|Take me back to The Dating Doctor section of LoveHelp.|
Take me away to The Dating Doctor's Official Website.
This article is copyright © 1998 David D. Coleman ("The Dating Doctor")
used by permission by WhoDoYouLove.com All rights reserved.